Felipe Mendoza’s practice focuses on Tax and Foreign Trade. For more than two decades, he has provided legal advice to companies dealing with foreign trade matters, including valuation, HTS tariff classiﬁcation, Mexican tariff and non-tariff restrictions, determination and payment of import duties, as well as the interpretation and application of free trade agreements signed by Mexico. He has vast experience advising on compliance with rules of origin and veriﬁcation procedures of origin established in treaties.
Felipe has conducted complex customs and international trade audits on Mexican companies and has assisted companies in the drafting and implementation of foreign trade compliance procedures and manuals.
Felipe also provides legal advice to companies that import, sell and distribute products in the Mexican aftermarket and continuously gives legal advice to maquiladora (with an IMMEX Program) and shelter companies regarding customs procedures and how to maximize the tax and foreign trade incentives granted by the Mexican government.
On the tax front, Felipe is specialized in the maquiladora industry, the interpretation and application of tax treaties, including the analysis of permanent establishment and taxation of residents and expatriates to avoid double taxation. Felipe is also an expert litigating resolutions issued by the Tax Administration Service (SAT, by its Spanish acronym), the Mexican Institute of Social Security and the Institute of the National Housing Fund for Workers in matters where authorities deny taxpayer refunds, or in cases where they seize assets or assess improper taxes against taxpayers.
Felipe Mendoza has extensive practice in Business and Corporate Law, and has been counseling companies on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions throughout Mexico
- Law Degree, Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Chihuahua campus.
- Master of Laws in International Trade Law, Arizona University.
- Diploma in Mexican Taxes, Universidad Panamericana, Guadalajara campus.
- Represented a company in a tax audit conducted by the SAT, in which his legal advice, counseling and negotiation resulted in the elimination of a tax liability totaling $85 million pesos (US $4.27 million).
- Advises various companies subject to NAFTA’s origin verification procedures in products exported to Mexico.
- Leading legal counselor for a consortium of Mexican companies belonging to a company listed on the NY Stock Exchange, which has 12 industrial plants and more than 10,000 employees in Mexico.
- Leading legal counselor in Mexico for a leading tomato producer in the United States, providing legal
advice on Mexican operations.
RECOGNITIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Former Chairman of the Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresas, Sección Chihuahua.
- Former Secretary of the Board of Directors of Campestre Juárez, A.C.
- Former Professor of the Maquiladora Industry Class, LL.M. — a program of the Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez Law School.
- Member of the Foreign Trade Committee of the National Institute of Public Accountants, located in Mexico City.
- Volunteers as Chairman of the Board of Centro de Audición y Aprendizaje, a non-profit organization that provides therapy to children with hearing impairment.
- Ranked as a leading practitioner in International Trade by Chambers Latin America since 2013.
- Ranked as notable leader in Tax & Customs by Who’s Who Legal since 2018.