Intellectual Property in Mexico has become one important factor towards economic growth, guarantying the protection of investment in brands and regulating the authorized use of trademarks and patents by third parties is a highly important matter for companies doing business in Mexico either directly or through third parties. The reality is that the protection of a company’s IP has become a key element to secure their investment since trademarks and patents can represent a great source of income for corporations worldwide, and defending their IP from counterfeiting is a necessity in every market and Mexico is no exception.
Another important aspect is to comply with Intellectual Property regulations, since complying with in-country laws and regulations allow companies to obtain the protection by local government agencies, and obtain the appropriate documentation that secures their rights and evidences the acknowledgement thereof by competent authorities.
The attorneys of the Intellectual Property and Technology practice group at EC Legal-Rubio Villegas has experience in the enforcement of intellectual property rights through litigation and other procedures. Our intellectual property attorneys work closely with corporate, administrative, and litigation practice groups to assist clients in all phases of intellectual property protection.
In addition, our Firm offers extensive expertise in software and technology licensing and development agreements, domain names registration, Internet and technology related matters, including intellectual property audits, strategic alliances, website agreements, and other service contracts.
- Registration with the Mexican Industrial Property Institute, providing a thorough research in process and registered trademarks and patents.
- Draft, negotiate, registration and enforcement of license and/or alliance agreements that involve, trademarks, copyrights and patents.
- Legal advice on acquiring, selling, transferring, assigning or commercializing the IP assets of a business.
- Precise analysis of successful registration of trademarks and patents.
- Design/Structure a strategy to increase probabilities of a successful registration.
- Advice and recommendation to secure IP registrations and certificates continue effective.
Renewal of trademark registrations.
- Set up alternative means to secure IP that is not eligible for trademark or patent registration.
- Trademark litigation and arbitration.
- Conduct administrative procedures to ensure compliance and, in any given case, request the sanction of unauthorized use of IP.