Fernando Holguín is a member of the Tax & Trade Group and concentrates his practice in taxation, customs, and international trade. In different occasions he has been “Latin Lawyer´s” reference attorney for Mexico and has been recognized as Leading Practitioner by Chambers and Partners Latin America (2016-2024) and “Chambers and Partners Global”. He has also been recognized by “The Legal 500’s” as “Leading individuals” and “One to Watch” and “Lawyer of the Year” by “Best Lawyers”.
Has broad experience in the areas of free trade agreements, compliance, IMMEX / Maquiladora and shelters, internal and governmental customs and international trade audits, import/export procedures, valuation, HTS classiﬁcation, lobbying and prior disclosures.
Regularly assists multinational companies in designing and implementing their customs and foreign trade business structures in Mexico.
Fernando also has extensive practice in the Domestic and International Taxation. Has been counseling companies on the tax implications for joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and maquiladora and shelter taxation throughout Mexico.
Advises foreign companies setting up tax efficient structures when doing business in Mexico.
- Law Degree, Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, ITESM, Campus Chihuahua. Highest distinction of Summa Cum Laude.
- Master in International Taxation, New York University with a Fulbright Scholar.
- Master in Business Law, School of Law, Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez on a joint academic program with the Faculty of Law, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, UNAM.
- Postgraduate Degree in Tax Law and Customs, Escuela Libre de Derecho.
- Postgraduate Degree in Taxes, Universidad Panamericana.
- Engaged in different multinational companies in connection to veriﬁcation of origin visit/audit from the Mexican Customs Authorities, inquiring/challenging the origin of goods imported into Mexico, certiﬁcates of origin granted under NAFTA and other FTA´s.
- Worked for an aerospace industry multinational company which detected a possible contingency of approximately $15,000,000.00 dollars, to initiate a prior disclosure and negotiate the reduction of ﬁnes based on legal arguments to support the position of the company. After months of negotiation with the Customs Authorities, the company executed a settlement, whereby the company accepted to pay $15,000,000.00 dollars (ﬁfteen million dollars) instead of more than US $100 Million. He designed and implemented all the legal strategy and solutions provided to the authority.
- Provided legal advice for a multinational company from the automotive industry to restructure its Mexican tax and customs operations, and carried out an analysis to comply with tax and customs legal provisions regarding sales of goods in the Mexican After-market.
RECOGNITIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Recognized as Leading Practitioner by Chambers and Partners “The Guide to the World’s Best Lawyers”.
- Recognized as Latin Lawyers Reference Attorney for Mexico.
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section).
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association.
- Foreign Trade Association.
- Mexican Bar Association.
- Chairman of the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity (Chihuahua).
- Professor ITESM Ciudad Juárez.
- International Trade Fulbright Scholar Chairman.